Friday, January 9, 2009

Founders Friday.... finally

I guess I'll break into the new year by posting my normal weekly blurb about the founding fathers. It's been quite a while since I've posted on this blog so maybe I'll make a new years resolution to start writing more. I promised my wife that I wouldn't blog from home, and I'm usually too busy chasing my nine month old son around anyway. Parenting is fun.

Enough about me, today I'd like to give a "shout out" to a little known founding father named Roger Sherman. Sherman was referred to by John Adams as "That old Puritan, honest as an angel". Besides having an unwavering testimony for Christ, Sherman is best known for his orchestration of the Connecticut Compromise. by July, 1787, the constitutional convention had deadlocked over the issue of representation. The big states, led by James Madison, had proposed that both houses of the legislature be represented by population (giving the bigger states power over both houses of the legislature). The smaller states had countered with the New Jersey plan, which was basically a throwback to the equal representation of the articles of confederation.

The delegates debated endlessly until Mr. Sherman stepped forward and suggested that one house be represented equally and the other house be represented by the population size of the state. Of course not all of the states were excited about this compromise, but it saved the constitutional convention by allowing the delegates to move on, and it balanced the representative power between the big states and the small states. Balancing power is one of the principles that made American government different from most other governments throughout history. Thank you Roger Sherman.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya' about blogging from home.

    I promised my fam I'd spend less time on the computer @ home.

    ReplyDelete